Elder Brent H. Nielson, General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is scheduled to be the presiding authority and speaker during Brigham Young University’s Commencement Exercises on Thursday, August 16, at 4 p.m., in the Marriott Center. BYU President Kevin J Worthen will conduct the exercises.
The student speaker for the commencement will be Ashton Robert Omdahl, who is graduating with a Bachelor of Science in bioinformatics. Omdahl is from Fairport, New York, has a 4.0 GPA, and designed, constructed and implemented a computer tool to standardize breast cancer treatment datasets as a research assistant while at BYU.
Tickets are not required for commencement or for college convocations.
Commencement exercises will be broadcast live on BYU TV, BYU Radio, Classical 89 KBYU-FM and byutv.org .
Thursday, August 16 Commencement Schedule
- 2 p.m.: Marriott Center doors open
- 3 p.m.: Graduates assemble for the academic procession in the parking lots north of the Smoot Administration Building (ASB)
- 3:15 p.m.: Family and friends to be seated in the Marriott Center
- 3:15 p.m.: Academic procession departs from the ASB
- 4–5:30 p.m.: University Commencement Services in the Marriott Center
Friday, August 17 College Convocation Schedule
- Life Sciences (Marriott Center)
- School of Education (Smith Fieldhouse)
- Physical and Mathematical Sciences (Wilkinson Student Center Ballroom)
- Marriott School of Business (Marriott Center)
- Engineering & Technology (Smith Fieldhouse)
- Fine Arts & Communications (deJong Concert Hall)
- Nursing (JSB Auditorium)
- Humanities (Marriott Center)
- Family Home and Social Sciences (Marriott Center)
The Kennedy Center, Law School, and Religious Education will not be holding August convocations.
For additional information about graduation at BYU: graduation.byu.edu
About the Speaker
Elder Brent H. Nielson was sustained as a General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on April 4, 2009 at age 54. He previously served as an Area Seventy in the Idaho Area. As a General Authority Seventy, he has served as a counselor in both the Pacific Area and Philippines Area and as the Philippines Area President. He served as an assistant executive director of the Missionary Department from 2014 until 2015 and currently serves as the executive director.
Elder Nielson attended Brigham Young University and received a bachelor of arts degree in English in 1978. In 1981 he received a juris doctor degree in law from the University of Utah. He practiced law in Twin Falls, Idaho, for 29 years.
Elder Nielson has served in numerous Church callings, including full-time missionary in Finland, ward Young Men president, bishop, high councilor, counselor in a stake presidency, stake president, and Area Seventy.
Brent Hatch Nielson was born in Burley, Idaho, on December 8, 1954. He married Marcia Ann Bradford in 1978. They are the parents of six children.