10. Sun boils water when BYU engineering outreach class helps giant lake’s island-dwellers
Boiling eggs is super-easy at home. Unless your home is an island floating on a lake 12,500 feet above sea level with no electricity or gas.That’s why this month 19 BYU student engineers traveled to Peru’s fabled high mountain Lake Titicaca to deliver a special solar oven as part of their course on sustainable engineering projects that help improve local people’s standard of living.
9. BYU team installs new antenna on world’s largest radio telescope
A team of BYU engineers built a super-sensitive antenna for processing signals from deep space. Then they flew to Puerto Rico and installed it at about the same spot where Pierce Brosnan and Sean Bean battled it out during the climax of the James Bond film GoldenEye.
8. Teens and alcohol study: Parenting style can prevent binge drinking
Parenting style strongly and directly affects teens when it comes to heavy drinking – defined as having five or more drinks in a row – according to a new Brigham Young University study.
7. "Cougar Cooldown" breaks water balloon fight record
Brigham Young University broke the record for the world's largest water balloon fight Friday and produced plenty of smiles along the way. With 3,927 participants and 120,021 balloons, the event unleashed a massive barrage of colorful cool for six minutes
6. BYU students develop innovative prosthetic hand for a young mom
BYU engineering students spent their senior year developing a custom prosthetic hand for a young mom who lost her fingers after being stricken with septicemia, a life-threatening blood infection.
5. BYU students’ hybrid race car quietly roars to success
BYU engineering students finished in fourth place when they raced the gas-electric hybrid race car they built from scratch against teams from colleges around the world.Their blue-and-white car goes from zero to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds while it gets 80 miles per gallon.
4. Do marriage prep classes really work?
Before they take the plunge, many engaged couples may wonder if a marriage preparation class is worthwhile.
3. Sisters give siblings better mental health, study shows
Something about having a sister – even a little sister – makes 10- to 14-year-olds a bit less likely to feel down in the dumps.
2. BYU Ad Lab turns Doritos into Gold by winning national ADDY
The BYU Ad Lab has combined ferocious critters with Doritos-eating folks to win a Student Gold ADDY Award, one of the top advertising prizes awarded in the country for student work. Watch their commercial here.
1. Parody of popular TV commercial makes BYU library promo go viral
This hilarious parody of a popular Old Spice commercial serves as a must-see promotional video for BYU’s Harold B. Lee Library (HBLL). The now-viral video has logged more than 2 million views on YouTube.