Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and former president of Brigham Young University will be the speaker and presiding authority at the BYU April 2012 Commencement ceremonies Thursday, April 19, at 4 p.m. in the Marriott Center.
The exercises will be conducted by Elder Cecil O. Samuelson, BYU president and emeritus General Authority of the Church. They will be joined on the stand by members of the BYU administration and other Church leaders.
The exercises will be broadcast live on BYU Television, BYU Radio, Classical 89 KBYU-FM and byutv.org .
Graduates should meet at 3 p.m. at the Abraham Smoot Building parking lot prior to the processional, while family members and friends should be seated in the Marriott Center by 3:15 p.m. The doors at the Marriott Center will open at 2 p.m. The graduate processional will begin at 3:15 p.m.
Most campus offices will close Thursday at 2:30 p.m. to accommodate the services.
All faculty members are invited to march in the processional at 3:15 p.m. Faculty should be on either the east or west of the ASB by 3:10 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, faculty should go directly to the Marriott Center by 3:45 p.m. Line marshals will direct faculty to reserved chair seating on the playing floor.
As a courtesy to other participants, graduates and family members are encouraged to refrain from using cellular phones when in the Marriott Center.
Please be aware also that there will be no parking in Lot 1A north of the ASB Thursday, April 19, from midnight until 4:30 p.m. Vehicles parked in this location during those hours will be towed.
The Army ROTC will be commissioning 15 cadets Thursday at 11 a.m. in 151 N. Eldon Tanner Building. Elder Lance B. Wickman, emeritus member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, will be speaking at the ceremony.
The Air Force ROTC will hold its commissioning ceremony for 22 cadets Friday at 10 a.m. in the Wilkinson Student Center Varsity Theater. Retired U.S. Air Force general and emeritus member of the Presidency of the Seventy Elder Robert C. Oaks will address the cadets and their guests.
On Friday, President Samuelson will be hosting the “Meet the President” event. Graduates and their parents are invited to meet the president and his wife Sharon at the Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni and Visitors Center Assembly Hall from 9 to 11 a.m.
Individual college convocations for Friday are as follows:
- Family, Home and Social Sciences (All except Family Life) — Marriott Center
- David O. McKay School of Education — Smith Fieldhouse
- David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies — Joseph Smith Building Auditorium
- Physical and Mathematical Sciences — Wilkinson Student Center Ballroom
- Fine Arts and Communications (Visual Arts) — de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center
- Religious Education (Military Chaplaincy) — W-111 Benson Building
- Marriott School of Management — Marriott Center
- Engineering and Technology (Engineering) — Smith Fieldhouse
- Nursing — Joseph Smith Building Auditorium
- Family, Home and Social Sciences (Family Life) — Wilkinson Student Center Ballroom
- Fine Arts and Communications (Dance; Music; Music/Dance/Theatre; Theatre and Media Arts) — de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center
- Life Sciences — Marriott Center
- Engineering and Technology (Technology) — Wilkinson Student Center Ballroom
- Fine Arts and Communications (Communications) — de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center
- Humanities — Marriott Center
- J. Reuben Clark Law School — de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center
For additional information and updates, visit graduation.byu.edu .
Writer: Charles Krebs