Elder Craig A. Cardon of the First Quorum of the Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be the speaker and presiding authority at the Brigham Young University April 2014 Commencement ceremonies on Thursday, April 24, at 4 p.m. in the Marriott Center.
The exercises will be conducted by BYU President Cecil O. Samuelson. He and Elder Cardon will be joined on the stand by members of the BYU administration and other Church leaders.
Megan Hirschi, a native of Milton, Georgia, and an honors graduate who majored in biochemistry and minored in music, will be the student speaker.
A trumpet sextet will perform a special musical number, “Durrenhorn Passage” by Kevin McKee. New BYU Alumni Association President Terry Seamons will also address the graduates and their guests.
The exercises will be broadcast live on BYUtv, KBYU-TV Channel 11, BYU Radio, Classical 89 KBYU-FM and byutv.org.
Graduates should meet at 3 p.m. at the Abraham Smoot Building (ASB) parking lot prior to the processional, while family members and friends should be seated in the Marriott Center by 3:15 p.m. The doors of the Marriott Center will open at 2 p.m. The graduate processional will begin at 3:15 p.m.
Most campus offices will close at 2:30 p.m. to accommodate the services.
All faculty members are invited to march in the processional, which begins at 3:15 p.m. Faculty should be on either the east or west side of the ASB by 3:10 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, faculty should go directly to the Marriott Center by 3:45 p.m. Line marshals will direct faculty to reserved seating on the playing floor.
As a courtesy to other participants, graduates and family members are encouraged to refrain from using cellular phones while in the Marriott Center.
Please be aware that there will be no parking in Lot 1A (north of the ASB) from midnight on Wednesday, April 23, through Thursday, April 24, at 4:30 p.m. Vehicles parked in this location during those hours will be towed.
The Army ROTC will be commissioning nine cadets on Thursday, at 11 a.m. in W408 and W410 of the N. Eldon Tanner Building. Colonel William Taylor will be speaking at the ceremony.
The Air Force ROTC will hold its commissioning ceremony for 19 cadets on Friday, April 25, at 10 a.m. in the Wilkinson Student Center Varsity Theater. Elder Bruce A. Carlson of the Second Quorum of the Seventy will be speaking at the ceremony. Elder Carlson retired as general in 2009 while serving as commander in the Air Force Material Command.
On Friday, President Samuelson will be hosting the “Meet the President” event. Graduates and their parents are invited to meet the president and his wife, Sharon, at the Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni and Visitors Center Assembly Hall, from 9-11 a.m.
Individual college convocations for Friday are as follows:
- Life Sciences — Marriott Center
- David O. McKay School of Education — Smith Fieldhouse
- David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies — Joseph Smith Building Auditorium
- Physical and Mathematical Sciences — Wilkinson Student Center Ballroom
- Fine Arts and Communications (Dance; Music; Music/Dance/Theatre; Theatre and Media Arts) — de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center
- Humanities — Marriott Center
- Fine Arts and Communications (Communications) — de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center
- Engineering and Technology (Engineering) — Smith Fieldhouse
- Nursing — Joseph Smith Building Auditorium
- Religious Education — Benson Building, Room W111
- Family, Home and Social Sciences — Marriott Center
- Engineering and Technology (Technology) — Wilkinson Student Center Ballroom
- Fine Arts and Communications (Visual Arts) — de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center
- Marriott School of Management — Marriott Center
- J. Reuben Clark Law School — de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center
For additional information and updates, visit graduation.byu.edu.
Writer: Brett Lee