New building will replace Faculty Office Building
The Board of Trustees has approved a plan to demolish and replace the current Faculty Office Building on West Campus Drive, immediately west of the Joseph F. Smith Building.
The Faculty Office Building (FOB) will be replaced with a newly constructed building named the West View Building. Crews will demolish the FOB beginning in early 2019 and construction on the new West View Building will begin immediately following demolition. Construction is expected to be completed by Spring 2020.
The Faculty Office Building currently houses the Department of Economics. That department and accompanying offices will temporarily move to the Crabtree Building during construction of the West View Building.
Along with the Department of Economics, the West View Building will also house the Department of Statistics and the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship. The Maxwell Institute is moving out of its building south of campus and will be housed temporarily in the Clyde Engineering Building. Risk Management will occupy the building vacated by the Maxwell Institute.
The FOB was originally built in 1955 as two buildings — one for restrooms and one for the ticket office — serving the university’s old football stadium, located where the Richard’s Building stands today. After LaVell Edwards Stadium was built in 1964, the restroom and ticket office buildings were connected and renovated into the Faculty Office Building.