The BYU Office of Information Technology has announced that, because of low usage, high maintenance costs and the availability of alternative services for personal network storage, the Basic NetStorage product will be retired as of 5 p.m. Jan. 31.
All data will be removed from the servers at that time. The Basic NetStorage product provided employees and students with 20MB of personal file storage space on a university server.
The Office of IT neither recommends nor supports a particular alternative, but the following are available:
• Departmentally owned servers for employees — Please ask your area CSR
• ADrive — 50GB free (www.adrive.com)
• SkyDrive — 25GB free (explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive)
• DropBox — 2GB to 10.25GB free (www.dropbox.com)
• Google Docs — 1GB free (docs.google.com)
If you are experiencing difficulties or require additional clarification regarded this OIT service or communication, contact the OIT Service Desk at ext. 2-4000 or at email@example.com.
Writer: BYU OIT