Cougar Queries are a series profiling BYU employees by asking them questions about their work, interests and life.
BYU employee since: 2016
My job at BYU is… associate professor in the Accounting and Management Department of the Marriott School of Business. I teach classes in accounting and research the economic outcomes associated with regulation of firms and their financial reporting.
I’m currently working on… a project that explores how legal incentives to avoid disclosure interact with regulatory requirements to do so.
I’m currently reading… “The Ivy and Bean” series to my 5-year-old, “Harry Potter” with my 8-year-old and “Anne of Avonlea” with my 10- and 12-year-olds.
I get most excited about my work when… I discover unintended consequences or benefits from regulation. That is, the side effects that weren’t contemplated as part of the regulatory process or intent.
When I have 30 minutes of free time, you can find me… mountain biking. Most mountain bikers (my husband included) tolerate the uphill to get to ride downhill, but I’m the reverse. I adore punishing climbs!
My advice to incoming freshmen is… don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Students who aren’t afraid to get the answer wrong are the MVPs in my class. Wrong answers are usually 90% right in the supporting work — by highlighting where it’s easy to get confused in that remaining 10%, everyone learns the material much more deeply.
My advice to graduating seniors is… be an example of the believers. People will infer what it is that our church stands for from the way you live, love and serve.
My go-to comfort food is… quinoa bowls. Kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes hummus, salmon or chicken and creamy dressing. Heaven!
My favorite quote is… “If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy that we can say about another person — whether to his face or behind her back — that should be our standard of communication.” President Russell M. Nelson, “Peacemakers Needed,” April 2023