Brigham Young University today announced a few adjustments to the upcoming Homecoming festivities in October:
- The traditional True Blue Foam slide will no longer be part of Homecoming. Instead, the event is moving to an earlier date in the school year to take advantage of warmer temperatures. This year, True Blue Foam will take place September 11.
- The first 500 guests to arrive each night for BYU Spectacular! will receive a free Spectacular! t-shirt.
- The Saturday morning 5K Cougar Run is updating its course to travel through campus. Additionally, blue pancakes will return after a brief hiatus and will be served at the end of the race.
- Following trends of declining participation, BYU will retire the Homecoming parade to allow for more student-centric activities like a homecoming scavenger hunt, a BYU Birthday Bash and enhanced noonday activities throughout the week. More details on these activities will be announced later this fall.
- The Stadium Tailgate party will now be part of the Cougar Canyon pre-game activities. Students, faculty, alumni and community members are invited to enjoy live entertainment, local food trucks and more along Canyon Road in the hours before kickoff.
“Homecoming is a longstanding and wonderful tradition at BYU," said Steve Hafen, managing director of BYU Alumni and External Relations. "We are excited to introduce new activities into this tradition as we retire others based on the input and needs of our students, alumni, faculty, staff and the local community. We look forward to another great year of Homecoming festivities, including the much anticipated BYU Spectacular!”
BYU Homecoming begins Tuesday, Oct. 15, with the Opening Ceremony in the Marriott Center, and concludes Saturday, Oct. 19, with the BYU football game against Boise State.
For the most current information regarding the Homecoming event schedule, check homecoming.byu.edu