At Opening Session of Annual University Conference
Brigham Young University President Cecil O. Samuelson welcomed faculty and staff members back to campus for the 2011 -2012 academic year during the Annual University Conference Opening Session today (Aug. 23), where several outstanding members of the BYU community were also honored.
Rulon D. Pope, a professor of economics, received this year’s Karl G. Maeser Distinguished Faculty Lecturer Award, the university’s highest faculty honor, for his outstanding career as a scholar, teacher and administrator. He will deliver his address during a university forum assembly later in the year.
Wayne J. Anderson, grants and personnel administrator for the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, received the Ben E. Lewis Management Award for administrative employees, while Julie Radle, administrative services manager for the History Department, was granted the Fred A. Schwendiman Award for staff employees.
Other awards and honors included:
• University Professorship: Gary M. Burlingame, psychology.
• Alumni Professorship: Douglas E. Bush, music.
• Karl G. Maeser Excellence in Teaching Award: Camille Fronk Olson, ancient scripture; Phillip A. Snyder, English; and E. Kay Stice, accounting.
• Karl G. Maeser Research and Creative Arts Award; Bonnie Brinton and Martin Fujiki, communication disorders; J. Clifton Fleming, law school; and Alan J. Hawkins, family life.
• Karl G. Maeser Professional Faculty Excellence Award: Todd B. Parker, ancient scripture; and Steven G. Wood, chemistry and biochemistry.
• General Education Professorship: Steven R. Goates, chemistry and biochemistry.
• Abraham O. Smoot Citizenship Award: Von D. Jolley, plant and wildlife sciences.
• Wesley P. Lloyd Award for Distinction in Graduate Education: Michael D. Rice, electrical and computer engineering.
• Phi Kappa Phi Award: Brent E. Nelson, electrical and computer engineering.
• Religious Education Transfer Professor: C. Penny Bird, English.
• Adjunct Faculty Excellence Award: Steven M. Waters, economics; and Barbara R. Williams, music.
• Alcuin Fellowships: Donald J. Harreld, history; Eric Wilson, microbiology and molecular biology; and Jane H. Lassetter, nursing.
• Young Scholar Awards: Kent L. Gee, physics; Kimberly Johnson, English; and Stephen M. Schultz, electrical and computer engineering.
• BYU Class of 1949 Young Faculty Award: Allen R. Buskirk, chemistry and biochemistry.
• Sponsored Research Recognition Award: Scott D. Sommerfeldt, physics and astronomy.
• Technology Transfer Award: Daniel L. Simmons, chemistry and biochemistry.
• Creative Works Award: Julie A. Walker, University Communications.
• Teaching and Learning Fellowship: Mark Callister, communications; Keith J. Wilson, ancient scripture; Ramona O. Hopkins, psychology; David H. Moore, law school; Jeffery R. Barrow, physiology and developmental biology; and W. Vincent Wilding, chemical engineering.
• President’s Appreciation Award: Ranny Lacanienta, Lee Library; Bonnie R. Geldmacher, Hunter Law Library; Dottie Jensen, Counseling and Career Center; Ann Marie Lambert, Honor Code Office; Linda Richards, chemistry and biochemistry; Holly Skelton, nursing; Dennis Crawford, Physical Facilities; and Karmen Smith, humanities.