"Brazil on the Rise" by New York Times cultural reporter Larry Rohter
The David M. Kennedy for International Studies Book of the Semester, "Brazil on the Rise" by Larry Rohter, will be the topic for a panel discussion by a group of Brigham Young University professors from a variety of disciplines Wednesday, March 7, at noon in 238 Herald R. Clark Building.
Under the direction of moderator Christopher “Kit” Lund, professor of Portuguese, the panel members will include:
• Vanessa Fitzgibbon, assistant professor of Portuguese
• Fernando S. Fonseca, associate professor of structural engineering
• Mark L. Grover, Latin American and African studies librarian at the Harold B. Lee Library
• Cynthia Halliday, managing director, Global Management Center
• Shawn W. Miller, associate professor of history.
"Books and ideas matter," said Cory W. Leonard, assistant director of the David M. Kennedy Center. "For eight years the center has invited notable authors to discuss important global topics from different disciplinary perspectives as part of our Book of the Semester series."
"We aim to foster discussion and dialogue across campus and in the community on the issues of our time — understanding important areas such as China, Brazil, Afghanistan, or Europe, debating ideas like 'just war' and 'soft power,' and exploring important topics such as Islam, the role of sports, or the rise of Christianity in the global south," he said.
For more information, contact Lee Simons at (801) 422-2652, email@example.com
Writer: Lee Simons