Skip to main content
Intellect

Author, humanitarian Paul Polack to discuss poverty during BYU address Feb. 5

The Brigham Young University Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering and Technology will host a lecture and book signing by author and humanitarian Paul Polak Thursday, Feb. 5, at 11 a.m. in the de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center.

His book, “Out of Poverty,” is available at the BYU Bookstore, where Polak will sign books from 12:15 to 1 p.m., followed by a question-and-answer session from 2 to 3 p.m. in 254 Clyde Building.

Polak is the founder of International Development Enterprises, which has used innovative solutions to help increase poor farmers’ net incomes by $288 million annually. In 2007, his group received a $13.4 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to help more people in developing countries escape poverty.

He heads “D-Rev: Design for the Other 90%,” with the intent of igniting a design revolution. About 90 percent of the world’s designers focus on solutions for the richest 10 percent of the world’s customers rather than the other 90 percent who need it most. D-Rev helps multinational corporations profitably develop affordable products to help the world’s poor.

For the past 25 years, Polak has worked with thousands of farmers in countries around the world — including Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Myanmar, Vietnam and Zimbabwe — to help design and produce low-cost, income-generating products that have already moved 17 million people out of poverty. Before establishing his organization, Paul practiced psychiatry for 23 years in Colorado.

For more information, contact Krista Tripodi at (801) 422-3948.

Writer: Angela Fischer

Polak.jpg
Photo by Associated Press

Related Articles

data-content-type="article"

Q&A with President Reese on “strengthening the student experience”

February 23, 2024
In this Q&A series with President Reese, he shares more about the seven initiatives he shared in his 2023 inaugural response and how they apply to BYU employees.
overrideBackgroundColorOrImage= overrideTextColor= overrideTextAlignment= overrideCardHideSection=false overrideCardHideByline=false overrideCardHideDescription=false overridebuttonBgColor= overrideButtonText= overrideTextAlignment=
data-content-type="article"

Life and Breath: Interdisciplinary BYU team travels to Nepal to study health effects of air pollution

February 21, 2024
An interdisciplinary BYU team recently came together to conduct a research study in Nepal, aiming to measure brick workers’ exposure to pollutants and to assess their respiratory health. The eventual goal is to determine what information, technology and strategies they can develop with the Nepali people to help them improve their well-being.
overrideBackgroundColorOrImage= overrideTextColor= overrideTextAlignment= overrideCardHideSection=false overrideCardHideByline=false overrideCardHideDescription=false overridebuttonBgColor= overrideButtonText= overrideTextAlignment=
data-content-type="article"

The NSF wants to pay tuition, rent and much more for BYU Cybersecurity students

February 14, 2024
The NSF recently awarded the cybersecurity program within the BYU Electrical & Computer Engineering department with a five-year, $3.7 million grant called the CyberCorps Scholarship for Service. BYU is one of only six schools nationwide to receive the award this year, which recognizes students with technical talent, moral integrity, leadership, and second language skills.
overrideBackgroundColorOrImage= overrideTextColor= overrideTextAlignment= overrideCardHideSection=false overrideCardHideByline=false overrideCardHideDescription=false overridebuttonBgColor= overrideButtonText= overrideTextAlignment=
overrideBackgroundColorOrImage= overrideTextColor= overrideTextAlignment= overrideCardHideSection=false overrideCardHideByline=false overrideCardHideDescription=false overridebuttonBgColor= overrideButtonText=