Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be the speaker and presiding authority at the Brigham Young University April 2013 Commencement ceremonies Thursday, April 25, at 4 p.m. in the Marriott Center.
The exercises will be conducted by Elder Cecil O. Samuelson, BYU president and emeritus General Authority of the Church. He and Elder Perry will be joined on the stand by members of the BYU administration and other Church leaders.
Conrad Waldhar Rosenbrock, a native of Winchester, United Kingdom, and an honors graduate in physics, will be the student speaker. Tiffany Delgado and Hilary Heideman, winners of a recent international piano duo competition, will perform a special musical number, “Paganini Variations for Two Pianos” by Witold Lutoslawski. BYU Alumni Association President Michael O’Conner will also address the graduates and their guests.
The exercises will be broadcast live on BYUtv, KBYU-TV Channel 11, BYU Radio, Classical 89 KBYU-FM and byutv.org.
Graduates should meet at 3 p.m. at the Abraham Smoot Building parking lot prior to the processional, while family members and friends should be seated in the Marriott Center by 3:15 p.m. The doors of the Marriott Center will open at 2 p.m. The graduate processional will begin at 3:15 p.m.
Most campus offices will close Thursday at 2:30 p.m. to accommodate the services.
All faculty members are invited to march in the processional at 3:15 p.m. Faculty should be on either the east or west side of the ASB by 3:10 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, faculty should go directly to the Marriott Center by 3:45 p.m. Line marshals will direct faculty to reserved seating on the playing floor.
As a courtesy to other participants, graduates and family members are encouraged to refrain from using cellular phones while in the Marriott Center.
Please be aware that there will be no parking from midnight Wednesday, April 24, through Thursday, April 25, at 4:30 p.m. in Lot 1A north of the Administration Building. Vehicles parked in this location during those hours will be towed.
The Army ROTC will be commissioning 15 cadets Thursday at 11 a.m. in W408 and W410 N. Eldon Tanner Building. Dallen S. Atack, deputy adjutant general for the Utah National Guard and a BYU alumnus who commissioned through the program in 1988, will be speaking at the ceremony.
The Air Force ROTC will hold its commissioning ceremony for nine cadets Friday at 10 a.m. in the Wilkinson Student Center Varsity Theater. Retired U.S. Air Force Colonel Roger Maher will address the cadets and their guests.
On Friday, President Samuelson will be hosting the “Meet the President” event. Graduates and their parents are invited to meet the president and his wife Sharon at the Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni and Visitors Center Assembly Hall from 9 to 11 a.m.
Individual college convocations for Friday are as follows:
- Humanities — Marriott Center
- David O. McKay School of Education — Smith Fieldhouse
- David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies — Joseph Smith Building Auditorium
- Physical and Mathematical Sciences — Wilkinson Student Center Ballroom
- Fine Arts and Communications (Communications) — de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center
- Family, Home and Social Sciences (All except Family Life) — Marriott Center
- Engineering and Technology (Engineering) — Smith Fieldhouse
- Nursing — Joseph Smith Building Auditorium
- Engineering and Technology (Technology) — Wilkinson Student Center Ballroom
- Fine Arts and Communications (Visual Arts) — de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center
- Marriott School of Management — Marriott Center
- Family, Home and Social Sciences (Family Life) — Wilkinson Student Center Ballroom
- Fine Arts and Communications (Dance; Music; Music/Dance/Theatre; Theatre and Media Arts) — de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center
- Life Sciences — Marriott Center
- J. Reuben Clark Law School — de Jong Concert Hall, Harris Fine Arts Center
For additional information and updates, visit graduation.byu.edu.